Monday, February 1, 2010

You've begun...



Ok...So you've made the choice. You've decided you're tired of living a semi exciting life and you are on your way to living the life of your dreams. Now that you have taken the first step you must decide what exactly you want to achieve. I find the best way to begin this process is to sit down with a piece of paper and start writing. Write down all of your thoughts and ideas, if you can't seem to find the right words to write down just focus on key words. For example, married, vacations, Lexus, you get the point. Don't be afraid of what you're writing, this is personal, your dreams can never be too big. It may seem at first that you feel bombarded with all of the things you want to change in your life. You may feel it is too much work or there is no way you could possibly fix all of these things. You can and you will. Figuring out what you want can be tough, it certainly won't happen over night but you just have to keep an open mind and stick with it.


It is important to focus on one thing at a time. I'm sure you have all been in those situations where you have so much to do that it seems impossible to get everything done. Whether it be planning for a big event, simple school projects or balancing work, school and your social life, we've all felt overwhelmed to the point we want to give up. That's when it happens. We sink back into the regular routine we hate so much or pick up the phone and call that person we know we shouldn't. Facing your problems takes guts. Nobody likes to admit when things are wrong and in most cases it seems easier to forget about them then to face them. By breaking your problems down and dealing with them one at a time they seem more manageable.

So now you have your list completed. You know what you want to change and what you want out of life right? Good! Here comes the tricky part, prioritizing these changes. Not every change can happen at the same time so it's up to you to decide which ones need to change immediately. Let me give you this piece of advice. If there is someone in your life who you know shouldn't be but you seem to keep them around anyway, you need to make getting rid of them your #1 priority! You need a clear head. You need to be positive and you need to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. With people in your life holding you down you will never be able to truly fix the other issues. It's hard enough trying to figure your life out on your own, you can't have anyone negative in your life adding extra stresses. Easier said then done right! How are you supposed to just get rid of them, if it were that easy you would have done it already. Wrong. It is that easy. Stay tuned to find out why.

4 comments:

  1. Setting goals is for sure number one. For me it's a matter of sticking with them and not letting them get pushed under the bed and forgotten about. Keeping them in the front of my mind is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that writing things down is an excellent idea. So many times we have different things running around in our heads but cannot seem to focus on one at a time. Seeing issues on paper makes them more concrete and I find it's easier to focus on the solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I set goals all the time like which piece of homework I would like to finish first off my "To Do list" or how many years will it take me to finish paying off my student loan. I agree with you about believing in yourself and aiming big for your goals because you never know what happens when someone tells you that you can't; only makes you work harder. I read somewhere the other day that the hardest person you are ever going to have to challenge and fight with is yourself. So set them high and go for th gold because you never know where you will place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals setting is not my strong point. I write lists all the time. I am sure they are hanging out with my socks lost in the laundry somewhere in that void between this world and the next.
    When I am about to beat myself up for not being organized, accomplishing much or not having goals I write a mental list.
    When I think about how much I actually do, what I have accomplished and how far I have come I don't worry about all that I have left to do.

    ReplyDelete